I was pleased to see over three dozen nonprofit leaders and organizers in attendance at last Wednesday’s workshop organized by ConnectRichmond.
We covered a lot of ground in 90 minutes, including:
1. The benefits of the Virginia nonstock corporation for organizing a new nonprofit organization and how to form one.
2. The logistics of preparing IRS Form 1023.
3. State regulation of charitable solicitations.
4. The different versions of Form 990 and the potential consequences of not making the required annual filings.
5. Why the corporate secretary is so important from a corporate governance perspective.
Given the great response, be on the lookout for other worskhops in 2011 for start-up nonprofit organizations and their leaders!