Perkins Law had a great time exhibiting at the recent Home-Based Business Resource Fair and Conference in Williamsburg organized by he York County Chamber of Commerce. Well over 100 small business owners and entrepreneurs attended a full day of workshops, panel discussions, and networking. One or my favorite presenters was Alice Cooke, owner of CakeAlicious in Williamsburg and winning contestant on a recent episode of the Food Network’s Cake Wars. I’d encourage you to visit her Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/CakeAlicious-207005192666034/. She offered an insightful collection of tips for other entrepreneurs and observations from her experiences starting and growing a small business:
- Don’t be afraid to be different and follow your passions.
- Don’t let others tell you how to run your business.
- You need to do a lot of research o understand all aspects of your business, your market, your industry, and the laws that regulate your business.
- Make legal compliance and ethics a top priority.
- Surround yourself with awesome professionals to support you (you can’t do it all yourself).
- Dream big.
- Write down your goals.
- Never lose faith–keep looking up when the world tries to push you down.
- Don’t dwell on mistakes or have any regrets.
- Remember that God has a plan and is the best business manager there is!
Job well done Alice!