After his impressive keynote address at the 2016 Clio Conference in Chicago, I could not wait to read Gary Vaynerchuk’s latest book, #AskGaryVee: One Entrepreneur’s Take on Leadership, Social Media, and Self-Awareness. A thoroughly entertaining and informative compilation of questions and answers from Gary’s regular #Ask GaryVee Show on YouTube, where he fields questions on marketing, social media, and entrepreneurship. I give Gary special props for his spot-on analogy between tennis and business, and here are a handful of other great suggestions from the book:
- Religiously follow a few core business philosophies that mean the most to you and devote most of your time to them (the rest will naturally fall into place).
- IDEAS are WORTHLESS without EXECUTION (and vice versa).
- CASH is OXYGEN to your small business. If a business owner does not master effective cash flow management, his or her business is doomed.
- The best way to become “SOMETHING” is to do the WORK required to become “something”.
- Simply put, your business needs to solve a problem , serve a need, and/or make people happy.
- The two keys to becoming a leader in your industry: PASSION and HUSTLE.
- Better to bet big on your strengths than to dwell on trying to improve your weaknesses.
- When developing social media content, be yourself and engage your audience.
- Focus social media efforts on the specific platforms that your target audience loves.
- DEPTH matters more than WIDTH in the world of entrepreneurship and small business.
Recommended reading for all Virginia small business owners and entrepreneurs!